Monday, March 30, 2015

Chocolate "Butter"cream Frosting

Hello friends!

Let's talk about frosting.  I have turned into a frosting snob over the last few years.  For Zax's first birthday, I discovered several frosting recipes that I absolutely love, and now I can't make myself go back to canned frosting.  I didn't really make this switch because of allergies--the store-bought ones are usually pretty safe for us--I did it because of taste.

Well, actually, when Zax was turning one, I did it because I was trying to keep sugar levels low.  Canned frosting has a predetermined amount of sweetness, but a with a homemade recipe you can add as much (or as little) as you like.  Even though we typically add a full amount of sugar now, homemade frostings still have fewer ingredients (no preservatives and such) and so are probably a bit better for you--but they also taste so much nicer, which is why I continue to make them!

Up until now, all of my frosting recipes have relied heavily on dairy.  I have modified Zax and Kal's birthday cakes to accomodate all sorts of extra allergens from their friends, but I've been worried about the day that one of them makes friends with a dairy-allergic child, because that's the one allergen I haven't really figured out how to eliminate.  However, the internet has been teaching me a lot these last few months, and I thought maybe I'll practice now so I'm not scrambling when a milk-free friend comes along.

This week's recipe is pretty easy.  I have a Chocolate Buttercream Frosting that is my
go-to recipe any time I need a chocolate (or brown) frosting.  I decided to see if I could convert it to dairy-free.  And the result was good!  So I'm sharing it with you.

Chocolate "Butter"cream Frosting

Ingredients:

  • 1/2 cup (1 stick) of dairy-free "butter" (I used Earth Balance)
  • 2/3 cup cocoa powder
  • 3 cups powdered sugar
  • 1/3 cup dairy-free milk (I used So Delicious Original Coconut Milk*)
  • 1 tsp allergy-safe vanilla
*note, I am not a fan of coconut.  I'm not even remotely allergic, but I've never liked the flavor.  I decided on this variety of milk alternative because hubby loves coconut and will happily drink the remainder.  However, I am happy to report that either the coconut milk flavor is very mild, or I'm losing my aversion to coconut, because I didn't mind it when I tried the coconut milk straight, and I didn't think it affected the flavor of the frosting at all.

Directions:

Melt Earth Balance spread.

Stir in cocoa.

Alternately add sugar and coconut milk, beating to spreading consistency.  Add a small amount of additional coconut milk, if necessary.

Stir in vanilla.

Now spread it on whatever frosting-delivery-method you choose!  I anticipate making several cakes in the next few weeks so I'm saving most of this in the fridge, but I put some on the fresh batch of donuts hubby made over the weekend.


Because why not make breakfast decadent?

Enjoy!

Linking up at Allergy Free WednesdaysGluten Free Fridays, and Corn-free Everyday.

What will you spread this allergy-friendly frosting on?

3 comments:

  1. I'll make my egg-free chocolate cake and you can bring the frosting. Sounds like a winner! ��

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use half virgin coconut oil and earth balance (soy free) version. That always works well when I'm substituting butter. Are your donuts dairy free? They looked yummy! Plan on posting the recipe ?😋

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The donuts contain butter and buttermilk. As I mentioned, cooking without dairy kind of scares me, but I've been experimenting a bit lately, just because. I know you can add vinegar to milk to make a buttermilk substitute, but I don't know if that would work for a non-dairy milk too? They're baked donuts, the recipe that came with our donut pan. Recipe posted here
      http://2ndgenallergymom.blogspot.com/2015/02/baked-donuts.html
      I didn't know you had experience substituting out butter!

      Delete

What's on your mind?