Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Allergy Study

Zax and I participated in a food allergy research study last week!


As studies go, it was quite simple. We gave some preliminary medical history over the phone so the doctor could decide if he wanted our blood.  Once he decided that he did, we came in. From there, it was a simple questionnaire about our allergic history and a blood draw.  Easy Peezy!

Our Peanut Allergy Slap Bands are available now!!
Click here!
Zax has never been all that good with needles, so I started prepping him a few days before.  I told him that the study doctor wanted to try to figure out why people have allergies, and since we do, our blood can help him figure that out.  I also told him that maybe someday the information the doctor learns from our blood might help find a cure. Zax needed the word "cure" defined, and as soon as I finished doing that he exclaimed "I want that!"  This still makes me smile.


We had to do our blood draws in different places.  The study was through the University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus, but they only draw blood for people 12 and up there.  The study accepts kids as young as 6 with peanut or tree nut allergies (Kal is still too young to participate) so they shuttled us over to Children's Hospital for that.



I went first because I wanted Zax, who again isn't very good with needles, to see what was in store. He watched the tech take my blood and took these pictures of the process.



Once we got over to Children's, they gave Zax some numbing cream on the crook of his elbows--both sides, just in case they had trouble with the first side.

I was anticipating having to help hold him still because of how he's been with shots, but he did GREAT! I held his hand while the nurse put the actual needle into him, but after that he allowed me to let go so I could take pictures of him.

I came over to rub his back a few times, but he was absolutely fine.  The only thing he complained about was the tightness of the tourniquet.  I was so proud of my little superhero! I don't know if it was the early prep, the numbing cream, the fact that he knew he was helping people and trying to find a cure, or just that he's getting older, but this is definitely the best that I've ever seen him around needles.  I love my brave kid!

We were very happy to help contribute to this!  Have you ever participated in a research study?


As a matter of fact, this study is still looking for participants.  They have enough controls (non-allergy people) but if you're in Colorado and have a peanut or tree nut allergy, or know anybody who fits that criteria, I hope you will consider participating!

Here's the info, if you are interested:




PEANUT AND TREE-NUT ALLERGY RESEARCH STUDY
Blood Samples for the Study of Peanut, Tree Nut and
Other Food Allergies
COMIRB # 13-2102

We are seeking adults and children who are allergic to
peanuts and/or tree-nuts to donate blood. And
individuals with no known food allergies.

Description: The purpose of this study is to determine how the body’s
immune system interacts with nuts and other foods to cause allergic
reaction.

To be eligible, you must be:

1. 6-75 years of age
2. Have a diagnosis of peanut and/or tree-nut allergy made by either skin
tests or blood tests.
3. Have no known peanut and/or tree-nut allergy.

Participation will include:

1. Donation of a small amount of blood

Financial compensation will be provided after participation in the study.

For information, please call
Spodra Eglite study coordinator
303-724-7193
Principal Investigator: Stephen Dreskin, M.D., Ph.D.
Co-Principal Investigator: Dan Atkins, M.D.

1 comment:

  1. Interesting. I hope that those studies bear good results later on. It can be tough to live with allergies, especially if it limits one’s dietary options, so it’s great that you guys were able to assist a research that may perhaps help cure your allergies in the future, or at least increase our further understanding of it.

    Nathaniel Quinn @ Superior Healthcare GA

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind?