Pumpkin Soup with Chili Cran-Apple Relish
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 ribs celery, finely chopped
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 3 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1 Tbsp poultry seasoning (or 2 tsp ground thyme)
- 1-2 Tbsp allergy-friendly hot sauce
- 6 cups allergy-friendly chicken broth
- 4 cups pumpkin puree (or 29oz can)
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1 green apple, chopped
- 1/4 red onion, finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 cup dried sweetened cranberries, chopped
- 1-2 tsp chili powder
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
Add cornstarch and poultry seasoning; cook for one minute.
Mix together a little chicken broth and hot sauce, and whisk into pot. Add remaining chicken broth; bring liquid to a bubble.
Lower heat; keep warm until ready to serve.
While soup simmers, combine all relish ingredients.
I hope you are enjoying Pumpkin Season as much as I am!
Linking up at Allergy Free Wednesdays and Gluten Free Fridays
(This recipe was originally posted on 1/5/15.)