Greek 'n Twirls Salad
The way I make it, this recipe contains wheat and dairy (and sometimes fish/shellfish) but it can easily be top 8 free depending on your pasta and which add-ins you choose.
- 1 package (12-16oz) rotini noodles of your choice (can be gluten free, if needed.) We like to use rainbow rotini
- 1 cup crumbled feta or blue cheese (substitute or omit if dairy allergy)
- 3/4 cup sliced radishes
- 1 cucumber, thinly sliced
- 1 bunch green onions, sliced
- 8 oz mushrooms, sliced
- coarsely chopped black olives
- Optionally add or substitute other veggies that you prefer
- Optionally add a protein.* Hubby and I like imitation crab**, although that increases the number of allergens by quite a few
For the dressing
- 1 cup olive oil
- 4 Tbsp vinegar (I like to use Red Wine Vinegar)
- 2 tsp seasoned salt
- 1/2 tsp coarse ground pepper
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp minced dry garlic
This made a great dish for hubby and I to share for our 4th of July picnic! The boys don't like it anyway, so they got boring old mac 'n cheese. At least this means hubby and I don't have to share this dish four ways yet!
Note: Use leftovers within 4 days to prevent mold.
*If adding a protein, increase the dressing by 1/4 so you'll have enough (1 1/4 cup oil, 5 Tbsp vinegar, 2 1/2 tsp salt, heaping 1/2 tsp pepper, heaping 1/2 tsp paprika, heaping 1/4 tsp garlic)
**Somehow I missed this before, but imitation crab has egg in it. Big no-no for our egg allergic child! And it has soy, and fish and shellfish (which are more obvious.) I honestly have no idea if other brands I've used don't have the egg or if I've simply failed to check the ingredients before. I felt really dumb upon seeing that, and am glad that Zax has never wanted this salad. I guess it makes sense, they've got to hold all the ingredients together just like a meatball, but still! Just a reminder to make sure that all ingredients are safe for your family!
Linking up at Allergy Free Wednesdays and Gluten Free Fridays,